Download your Journey to Success Planner
Finding colleagues, leaders or HR professionals willing or having the time to coach or mentor you to ensure that you can develop quickly, obtaining the necessary information and tools/techniques to prepare and succeed at police promotion boards can prove difficult.
Time is precious and the wrong preparation at the wrong time results in many wasted hours.
Here are my top tips for anyone thinking about preparing for police promotion …
Top tips to secure promotion
- Prepare immediately upon qualification.
- This should be in the form of a gap assessment to identify any gaps that you may have in terms of the National Policing Professional Framework (NPPF) and the leadership qualities required at the next rank.
- Proactively address the gaps identified ahead of the promotion advert being placed so that you can confidently include within your application form or your promotion board exercises.
- Prepare your application form at least 3 months before the advert is placed. This will get you ahead of the crowd and you will still be able to enjoy holidays and a normal work-life balance, whilst others are frantically searching for evidence in support of their application. You will be in full control.
- Continue with your preparation with a belief that you will be shortlisted. This is important as you will need to prepare for the promotion board exercises at least 4-6 weeks before you attend the promotion board. To delay will seriously jeopardise your chances of success in a competitive pool.
- Regardless of the outcome always seek detailed feedback on all aspects of the process including the application form. This is critical for you to commence the cycle all over again to ensure professional development. You should be eager to fast-track your development and achieve your goals.
Download Promotion Prep’s suggested Journey to Success Planner and begin planning now …